Saturday, February 27, 2010

Anansi Boys

After reading Anansi Boys and watching the MIT talk, I really love Neil Gaiman. I have added all of his books to my Amazon wish list, so if anyone wants to be supper nice to me and buy me something, my email is klgrigs@yahoo.com! I love how he makes these two completely different worlds mesh so well together. It is like that is the way the world has always been and its normal. I tend to really like pessimistic smart ass characters, so Fat Charlie and Spider were right up my alley. I love things like mythology and gods, and am really happy to have found a writer who can work them into modern novels so flawlessly. My only issue was the singing at the end of the book. That was a bit cheesy but it didnt turn me off from the entire book. It was just random and really odd to visualize.

His MIT talk really put a lot of things into perspective for me as a designer. The fact that he can take all these stories that already exist and are popular and change them in a way that they don't copy the original but still hold the impact and meaning of the original story really opened up a lot of paths for me. It's just improving on what already exists. We are getting to a place where it feels like everything has already been done, so thinking like a writer will really help with designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment