Sunday, March 14, 2010

Equal Rites

I thought I would really enjoy this book since it is about witches and wizards and the magical world. Usually, those things are a guarantee for me. I love the Harry Potter books. That is kinda what I was expecting when I heard it was about a young girl going to wizard school. When I started reading it it dawned on me that this world is more complex than Harry Potters world and the writing is a little more advanced and deep. It took a while for me to really get into this book. When I say a while, I mean a while, probably like more than half way through. It took a long time for the story of Esk's journey to becoming a wizard to start. Not that her stay with Granny Weatherwax wasn't enjoyable. Maybe it was because I was expecting something else. I usually do not assume anything about novels. This time I assumed that it would like Harry Potter, with teenage kids going through wizard school and running into problems with good and evil. I learned my lesson not to make assumptions about novel I do not know a whole lot about. Since the story started out pretty slow, once the story did start, it felt like it was over in a flash. I felt like the most important parts of the story were condensed to the last quarter of the book. Right when the book was picking up pace and getting exciting, it just ended. The ending was very abrupt. I'm assuming that the story continues in the following discworld books so maybe Ill pick those up in the future to read. I really like the characters. Granny Weatherwax is funny and Esk is entertaining. I really like the world that Terry Prachett created for the reader, I just wish more happened and faster. If I did not know that this book was part of a series I would be feeling pretty robbed right about now, but since I know that it continues, I don't feel so robbed.

When I get a chance to read the other Discworld books, I am hoping that the books after go deeper into Esk becoming a wizard and I hope that there is more action. I am usually a big fan of anticipation in novels, but this book took it to extremes and it got frustrating. I may read the first two books as well, then re-read Equal Rites just to get back into it. I think I have forgotten a lot of what happened already, lol. I just could not get into it, but I am willing to give it a second chance. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment