Sunday, February 21, 2010

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass

I purchased His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman a few years ago with good intention to read it but I kept of forgetting about it and continued to buy other books to read, so it sat on the bookshelf and collected dust. I started it a few times but for some reason never finished. I was really excited when I saw that it was a reading for my literature class because then I would have to read it. I am really glad I did. I really enjoyed it. Every minute of it. It is one of those books that makes you think. Not just at some parts, but all parts. Pullman did a really good job and making the reader question life and everything that is associated with life. He put it in ways that are very easy to grasp. Some of the content is pretty deep and do not see a child reading this and understanding it.

I really like the concept of a daemon. To wear you soul on the outside really lets people into your character and it shows who you really are. In this book, you can tell a lot about a person by the form of their daemon or by they way they act. The individual may be able to hide their true feelings, but they're daemon can not. It says a lot about children and growing up too. Their daemons, or souls, are constantly changing forms and once they reach adulthood their daemon chooses a fixed form. Its like innocence is over and you cant keep changing your mind all the time. This is who you are so deal with it. It is sort of like being forced into growing up, which I think a lot of us need sometimes. I think right now, if it were up to me, my daemon would still be changing forms. If I were to have a daemon, I think it would be a chocolate labrador retriever, because they are fun, playful, loyal, smart, and always there when you need them. They know when to goof around but also when to be serious. They also make great companions. That would by my daemon.

I enjoyed The Golden Compass so much that I have continued onto the Subtle Knife. I was shocked in the beginning because it started out completely different with a new character in a new world but was relieved when Lyra made her appearance. I think her and Will are going to be going on some crazy adventures and am really looking forward to finishing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment