Sunday, January 31, 2010

Vampire Movie Weekend

Bram Stoker's Dracula:
First off, I was a little worried about this movie because it had Keanu Reeves in it and for some reason I always picture him as Ted from the Bill and Ted movies. He was okay in this one because he wasn't in it as much. I never read the book so I was not familiar with the story of Dracula. I enjoyed the story part of the movie way more than the special effects. It had some really cheesy parts in it: Winona Ryder's beating heart and the eyes in the sky. The only actors that I really like in it were Gary Oldman as Dracula and Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing. I was not blown away by this movie and will probably never watch it again, mostly because of the cheese effects.

The Lost Boys:
Even though this movie is older it was my favorite out of the three I watched. It is probably now one of my favorite vampire movies. Kieffer Suttherland played a really good vampire in my opinion. He was cool, calm, vicious and seductive, not to mention he drove a motorcycle. I think by not showing the vampires actually flying was a really good choice because it would have probably just looked fake and cheesy. I love that they just hinted at the attacks and didn't really show them except for that one scene at the bonfire. The frog brothers were entertaining and the fact that the grandpa saved everyone from the vampires is great. The last line in the movie is my favorite: "The one thing I could never get over about living in Santa Carla, is all the damn vampires." (or something like that). Aside from the 80's wardrobe, these vampires were my favorite. This movie is definitely on my "to buy" list. I love most 80's movies in general because I grew up them up.

Interview with the Vampire:
I know this was not on the movie list but since we just read the book and it had been a while since I have saw I decide to watch it again. It does not measure up the book at all but its not a bad movie as long as you are not comparing it to the book. Most movies based on book don't measure up, in my experience. Although I still really enjoy the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies. The casting was off; Bradd Pitt, Tom Cruise and Antonio Banderas do not make ideal vampires in my opinion. Tom Cruise maybe since he is kind of "off" to begin with. The only actor that really fit the character was Kirstin Dunst as Claudia. She was soooo creepy and evil in the book and in the movie. All in all, not my favorite vampire movie, but also not a bad way to kill a couple hours. Read the book though. It is way better.

Why isn't "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" with Luke Perry not on the list? Ha ha. That was one of my all time favorite movies to watch when I was little.

No comments:

Post a Comment